Application procedure in 4 steps
- Register in Mobility Online before 15 March (early bird) or 15 May (regular)
- Fill in personal details, upload additional documents and complete requested extra questions
- Wait for approval of your application
- Pay the participation fee within 10 days after approval to secure your spot.
Applications can be submitted by filling in the online registration form via Mobility Online. After having registered, you will automatically receive an email with further guidelines to complete your application.
Upon successful submission you will receive an automatic reply to confirm your application. Students will be notified about the results of selection at the end of March (early bird) or the end of May (regular). Accepted students will need to choose their preferred case for the group works at the beginning of June. In case your application is accepted, you will receive an email with more practical information on payment and visa. Note that your subscription is only valid when the participation fee is received by the summer school’s secretariat.
Accepted students will be registered as regular students of the University of Antwerp and will hence receive a student account and a student card with which they will have access to the catering facilities and to the Wi-Fi network of the University of Antwerp. Furthermore, accepted students will be automatically insured under the policy of the University of Antwerp.
Early bird: €750
If covid-19 won’t allow us to organise a live summer school, we will switch to a digital or hybrid format, offering the same inspiring content, innovative approach and collaborative environment as the physical version does. The fees for the physical or digital version of the summer school are the same.
For the physical version, the fee includes course material, coffee breaks, excursions and social activities. It does not include lunch, accommodation or travel costs.
For the digital version, the fee includes all lectures, tutoring and workshops, course material, digital coaching and (online) social activities. Technical set-up (stable internet connection, headset, computer and webcam) has to be provided by the participant.
Antwerp is an affordable alternative to many others European cities.
The registration fee includes all course materials, coffee breaks and social programme activities. Accommodation, lunch and/or dinner is not included however.
For accommodation, students should count for €20 - €90 per night, depending on the type. A list of accommodation options can be provided upon acceptance to the summer school:
- The rent of a student room with common or shared facilities (kitchen and sanitary) amounts to €130 until €250 per week.
- The cost of staying at a hostel is between €20 and €25 per night for a bed in a dormitory, and around €35 per night for a single room.
- The price of a single or double room in hotels amounts to €55 until €90 per night, breakfast included.
For the lunches, participants are entitled to paying a discounted price at the student restaurants by showing their student card. The price of a sandwich amounts to €3 until €5. The price of warm lunch at the student restaurants or cafeterias is between €5 and €7.
Participants staying at student rooms or hostels can generally prepare their own dinner in a shared kitchen. Pita, French fries or Pizza can be purchased for under €10 at several places all over town. Dinner at a regular restaurant can cost between €15 and €25.
All participants are insured for third party liability and accidents during summer school activities. Additional insurances (e.g. health and travel), as well as travel costs are the participant’s own responsibility.
Below you can find a simulation for a participant attending this summer school:
|Registration fee (early bird)||€ 750|
|Accommodation at student room with shared facilities (average price)||€ 380|
|Breakfast and lunch (around €6/day)||€ 72|
|Dinner (around €15/day on average)||€ 180|
|Recreation, visits and personal expenses||€ 100|
Please note that travel, visa costs and additional insurances (e.g. health and travel) are not included in this simulation.
Cancellation by the organisation
The organisation reserves the right to cancel the course due to a lack of interest within two weeks after the deadline of application (15 May 2021). Participants should keep this in mind when making travel arrangements; any expenses made other than registration fees will not be reimbursed. Registration fees will be reimbursed as soon as possible.
In case the physical version of the summer school is cancelled due to covid-19 measures regarding local conditions or travel limitations, all accepted participants are invited to attend the digital version. If a candidate is unable to do so, the registration fee will be reimbursed as soon as possible.
Cancellation by the participant
If the participant cancels more than 4 weeks before the start of the summer school, 50 % of the registration fee can be reimbursed to the participant. If the participant cancels within 4 weeks before the start of the summer school, only € 100 of the registration fee will be refunded. All refunds are made in euros. The organisation cannot refund any shortfalls due to exchange rate fluctuations or bank charges.
If an applicant is unable to travel due to covid-19 and unable to attend the digital track, a full refund of the registration fee can be done if the following evidence is provided:
- Official communication from the visa office, Embassy or Consulate in case a visa could not be obtained due to COVID-19 regulations.
- Official communication from the home institution, employer or a medical facility stating that it is not possible to travel due to COVID-19 implications.
Applicants that can’t provide such a proof will not have the fees refunded.
Two types of scholarships are available for students who are currently enrolled as regular students of the University of Antwerp.
- Refund of €150/student after attending a summer school organised at Antwerp Summer University. An overview of all eligible summer schools can be found here. Students should prefinance the full registration fee and can claim a reimbursement of the allowance after submitting a certificate of attendance and proof of payment to the Antwerp Summer University Office.
The following students qualify for this refund: University of Antwerp students regularly enrolled under a diploma contract in a Bachelor, Master, Preperatory Programme, Bridging Programme or Academic Teaching Programme, in either academic year 2020-2021 or 2021-2022.
- Scholarship for a short international experience for students who qualify for financial aid by the Department of Social, Cultural and Student affairs (SCS).
Please refer to Blackboard ("een internationale ervaring>zomerschool") or contact the Antwerp Summer University Office (see right) for more information on these scholarships.
Attending a summer school is a low-threshold opportunity for refugees to get to know Flemish Higher Education. From summer 2018 onwards, a limited number of reduced registration fees (€100) for refugees is made available by University of Antwerp.
Admission requirements and eligibility
- The admission requirements for refugees with foreign pre-qualifications are the same as those for all summer school participants.
- English is the language of instruction of all programmes within Antwerp Summer University. As active participation is compulsory in all summer schools, English proficiency in reading, speaking and writing is required.
- In order to be eligible for a reduced registration fee, the candidate should belong to one of the following categories: asylum seeker / refugee status / subsidiary protection or a family member being reunited with a refugee.
- Candidates should (have) complete(d) a study orientation plan at Atlas. Candidates who are/have already been enrolled at a Flemish Higher Education Institution are not eligible for this reduced fee. Contact information is available on this webpage.
- Applications can be submitted by filling in the online registration form via Mobility Online. Candidates have to fill in personal details, upload some documents and complete extra specific questions per summer school.
- Depending on the category, candidates for these reduced fees have to upload (a) different document(s):
- asylum seekers
Scan of Annex 26 (issued by the Immigration Office in Brussels)
- recognised refugees:
Scan both sides residence permit
- a person receiving protection on humanitarian grounds (Dutch: subsidiair beschermde)
Scan of the letter issued by the “office of the commissioner general for refugees and stateless persons”
- a family member being reunited with a refugee
Scan of both sides of the residence permit of your family member
Proof of family composition
- asylum seekers
Contact and more information
- For more information on Antwerp Summer University and the application procedure, please contact Mr Wannes Gijsels (email@example.com or +32 32654382).
- For special information for refugees looking to study at the University of Antwerp, please visit this webpage or make an appointment with Ms Parul Goel (firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 3265 3191).